October 19, 2011

Pale Blue Dining Suite

This was also one of the last NZ projects I did.  I picked up four chairs first, then the table, at the local op shop.   The table was actually sitting outside, in the free pile.  Yes, we were only weeks away from leaving the country, and trying to downsize our pile of belongings, but I couldn't turn down a cute table, not for FREE!!!

This is what it looked like...
It was really solid with lovely lines, but it did have a very odd coloured top...
It was a really odd purple colour, I think that the original stain may have been bleached by sunlight or something...the legs also had a purple tint to them but not as bad as the top.  
I took to it with the sander...it took a bit of work but it was worth it to see that purple gone!
I gave the table top the same treatment as this table, but instead of doing white legs again, I went with Resene Karen Walker Periglacial Blue.
I don't seem to have taken a before shot of the chairs, but they were very plain honey-coloured pine chairs, with seat pads on them that were so ugly and past it that I had my upholsterer completely replace them, timber, foam and upholstery.  I went with my old faithful, oilcloth, this time in a taupe rosebud print which I think works perfectly with the pale blue.  It is super practical, so easy to wipe down to keep clean, and will keep on looking lovely for years to come.

Some more shots of the beautiful flowers, which I now know to be Hippeastrums :)

This suite is for sale, if you are interested in purchasing it please email me for details.
I have also done a matching hutch, blog post will be up in the next day or so.  It is also for sale, and would look great with this suite!

Sharing this project at:
xx Karen

October 17, 2011

French Farmhouse Style Table

I picked this little table up a while ago now, and in fact it has been a while since I finished it, but I never got round to posting about it from start to finish.  So, here it is...

Luckily, the table top was in such poor condition that it had started to strip itself!  Saved me some hard work...
Look at that lovely timber under there...
Looks better already, I think!

Once the top was stripped, I flipped the table upside down and primed and painted the legs and underside, using Dulux Antique White USA.

For the top, I wanted to give it a soft, natural washed effect, like a willow colour.  I chose 3 Resene test pots in grey/beige shades, then watered them down and slapped them on quite roughly and unevenly, one shade at a time, waiting for each layer to dry, which didn't take long.

Once dry, I hit the table top with the belt sander, then finished it off with liming wax (white).

Here is the finished result...
Oh yeah, I distressed the legs, too!
That is it, in the corner of my living room (next to my brand new white slipcovered couches that I am so thrilled with!)

Here are some close ups showing the finish on the top better...
Sorry about the different colours in the photos, it really is the same table top!

This next photo shows it against a willow basket I have, that has the colour I was trying to recreate.
I am thrilled with how it turned out, and it is a keeper...for now at least!

xx Karen