Pages

July 30, 2011

Chairs for Nicki

Nicki rang me a few weeks back, saying she wanted to buy some chairs, but only if she knew I could paint them for her.  I hadn't met Nicki before but she had purchased this tallboy from me (she picked it up when I wans't home).  She absolutely loved the tallboy and wanted the chairs in the same sort of finish.

So I said, go ahead, buy the chairs...and she did :)
This is what they looked like when she dropped them off to me...
The chairs had a lovely shape, but an awful finish.  I got to work washing and prepping them, then sprayed on a coat of Zinsser BIN.  I then painted with Resene Parchment.
After the paint had suitably cured, I distressed using a sanding sponge and a Mouse sander.
I distressed these chairs reasonably lightly as I didn't want too much of the original wood tome to show through, it was far too orange to look nice.  I knew that the next step would add the character and depth we were after...glazing!
 Here is a chair leg smothered in my own glaze recipe...wood stain gel, water, and water-based poly.  It dries very quickly so it pays to work only in small areas at a time...slapping it on then wiping it off with a wet cloth.
One chair glazed, one not.
Nicki is doing some new seat covers herself, and has promised to send me some photos once they are done...I am looking forward to seeing what she chooses!

Sharing with
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 
xx Karen

July 10, 2011

Red Polka Dot and Shabby Floral Stool Makeovers

Sarah came to me with these stools that were in dire need of some Restyled Vintage upcycling...
I got to work cleaning them up, and stripping the tops off them.  I primed, then painted them with a lovely off white, Resene Pearl Lusta.  Once the painting was done, I distressed the stools, then I handed them over to my upholsterer who made new oilcloth outfits for them.  Here they are, all done...
The cross-bar is so low on the stool because it has been cut down at some stage...still looks ok though.
To finish off the piano stool, I gave it a bit of a wash with Resene Linen to break up the clean white look, and give it a bit of character.  The 'Linen' colour is green so it ties in nicely with the green in the floral print oilcloth.
They certainly don't look dark and dingy anymore, and now belong in a home rather than a junk shop!

xx Karen